Monday, May 18, 2009

Decoking your silencers


Decoking your silencers is simply removing the build up of carbon, and in my case burnt-on oil, from your baffles. This is common in the two-stroke world but I must admit, I've never done it entirely. I have removed them before and sometimes they didn't come out willingly. I think I soaked one once in gas but very little crud came off. I usually replace the stock pipes/mufflers with chambers that don't have this type of baffle. These came from the '72 R5 and came out quite easily. There is a simple 8mm screw under the back of the muffler that holds each one in. You then take pliers and grasp a horizontal rod in the back of the baffle and twist it back and forth while pulling. It's all quick intuitive once you look at it. The factory recommends torching them every so many thousand miles so I fired up the OA set and after about 15 minutes they were both down to bare metal. You can see the after and before in the above pic. These were not bad at all and may not have even needed it. Some say they get so bad the bike runs poorly then they notice a huge performance increase once the baffles are cleaned.
Does it run better? Can't tell but I know that's one less thing in the back of my head. Timing will be next and is probably the most important setting on a two stroke bike. After that I don't mind taking off down the highway.
As an aside, there is a weird phenomenon that occurs when the motor hits the power band and you don't. Accordingly, I did a scary little slide backwards on the seat the other day - I'm just not used to these bench seats!

No comments:

Post a Comment